BREAKING NEWS: CHILD SMOKERS ARE ON THE RISE IN INDIA AS STUDY FINDS OVER 6.25 LAKH KIDS SMOKING DAILY
It’s truly breaking, isn’t it? We read such news daily and ignore it just like some other trivial incident happening. Some of us don’t even realize that the news is about us, about our award-winning activities! Wait wait… there is more to it.
82.12 BILLION CIGARETTES WERE PRODUCED IN INDIA IN 2016 COSTING RUPEES 18,18,691 MILLION.
Alas! Only if we were wise enough to put this money at a better place. No wonder why we are still struggling as a developing nation.
ACCORDING TO WHO’S NEW GLOBAL REPORT ON TOBACCO, 7 MILLION PEOPLE DIE EACH YEAR BECAUSE OF SMOKING.
But why would we care? We are not dying. But what if we did? What if those lungs have already turned black and we are unaware?
There is a simple reason why you should be reading this, “To prevent yourself from reaching doomsday just because of that paper roll you consume.”
We all know the hazards of smoking. But there are things we are unaware. Let me brush up for you:
S– Skin structure is actually changed due to certain substances in tobacco. A recent study has shown that smoking dramatically increases the risk of skin cancer.
M– Menopause is experienced earlier by women who smoke. Also, Nicotine affects blood flow to the genital areas of both men and women. For men, this can decrease sexual performance.
O– Obstructive pulmonary diseases i.e. a group of lung diseases is another major problem caused used to excessive smoking. Lung cancer, Chronic bronchitis are some fatal wogs.
K– Kidney cancer is a crucial reward that comes with smoking. Smoking slows the blood flow to the kidneys and can make kidney diseases worse.
I– Inhaling problems come not only to people who smoke but also to people who are around the smokers. Passive smoking can kill your near and dear ones.
N– Negative Psychological effects come with nicotine addiction. Smokers often report that cigarettes help relieve feelings of stress. However, the stress levels of adult smokers are slightly higher than those of nonsmokers.
G– Gastro effects are seriously altered with smoking. With Tobacco, we lose our appetite because of a decreasing sense of taste, making eating less enjoyable. Also, it has an effect on insulin levels in our body causing diseases like diabetes.
You must accept the fact that it’s high time to think about how to quit smoking. Any port in a storm, you know! Let me make it easy for you, however, it will be your solo run.
- Take the first step towards a smoke-free life with a strong will and even stronger support of your family and friends. Choose a date when you will be burning your last cigarette and never after that. Make this as note 1 in the diary.
- Note 2 starts with facing nicotine withdrawal symptoms like insomnia, headache, restlessness, fatigue, coughing, depression and vomiting, with a lot of courage and still not giving up. All this way, just keep in mind why you decided to quit, let your mind fondle with better things and reward yourself every time you win the war.
- It’s time to visit the doctor or a rehabilitation centre so that your body recovers at an expeditious rate. Nicotine Replacement Therapy, Behavioural Therapy and Motivational Therapy will help you lead a healthy life. Note 3 done.
- Make oral substitutes your ally. Chewing gums, mint, Pretzel sticks, Carrot and celery sticks, Natural liquorices, lozenge etc. Also, there are new buddies you must introduce to your hands. They are rubber bands or squeezing ball, book, pen, knit etc. 4this made right…You are ready!
- Water, water everywhere. Keep yourself hydrated, this will make you crave less for the bad stuff and will make the symptoms less dominant. Note 5, yes you did it.
- Nicotine reduction generally leads to a drastic increase in body weight. No, no, no worries, you can keep your metabolism and body completely fit and fine with the consumption of a good amount of fruits and vegetables. Whenever you are feeling distracted, grab your best-loved fruit and feel delighted. Not a long list, don’t worry… the last one is the last.
- Get up from the couch, put in your sports shoes and get started. Walking, cycling, running, dancing and aerobic exercise are the things that will make your seven-step plan a success. Exercise boosts your endorphins; gives you time to clear your head and makes you feel amazing.
The struggle is real I know, but the gratuity awarded will be worth every pain and craving. After all, gifting life to oneself is altogether an achievement….
Congratulations! You have almost quit smoking.